June 1998


for my dad.

the alarm went off too early.
like a gunshot,
ripping through the night,
and chests,
through my flag,

my father’s dreams.
it woke him before the sun could,
just as it was getting to the good part,
 
this is the one where the baby,
fast asleep on his chest
with fists balled up
learns her tongue from her mother

her land. this is the one where
she speaks it the way she breathes it,
instinctively.

the one where her mouth isn’t
weighed down by
assimilation.

this is the one he is woken from,
taken from,
for twenty-something years.

is that long enough to think your life wasted?
i hope, seeing me now,
that it has been worth it.

and me,
i bent and broke borders
to make a single home
of the circumstances.


© Yasmina Nuny

Comments

  1. I am grateful and touched by this share! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Translate

Popular Posts